And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Why this evening is a waste of time/writing

I should be editing my book right now.  I should be cleaning.  I should be cleaning up the rest of the dinner dishes.  I should be throwing on yet another load of laundry.  Which, by the way, does someone want to explain to me how a family of five can make more than 2 loads of laundry per day?  I find this really confusing.  I should be going up to bed to read, or do more devotionals.  But instead I am ignoring all the should be statements, and I am blogging.

I made a goal of 10 pages per week for editing my novel.  Right now I am basically taking it from Nano status to actual novel status.  Basically, I am content editing.  Then I get to find some suckers out there to read it and give me feed back.  You know you want to be one of those suckers!  Turns out I am loving content editing.  I have edited 23 pages in the last two days.  At this rate I will be done with the first edit in record time, and I will have something to show for it.    I just have to keep up the motivation.  I don't think this will be a problem because I have already edited my least favorite part of the novel and I have moved on to the parts I like better.  :)

I love that while writing I get so involved with my characters.  If my main character is in a bad mood then so am I, if she is going through something emotionally then so am I.   I love that the characters all come to life on the page as I am writing.  I love that I am so invested, and that I can control it all!  Who wouldn't want to be a writer.  It really is amazing.   I don't care if you think you can't write, or you find the task to be daunting.  I promise it is a blast!  Just don't take yourself too seriously and let it all go.

Speaking of taking yourself too seriously, it reminds me of the novel I wrote this year.  (not the one I am editing right now FYI.) I was over 6 months pregnant.  I had NO viable ideas for a novel and my husband challenged me to write a novel that was completely out of my comfort zone.  Write something that will challenge you, and is something you never considered doing.  At first he suggested that I write about the zombie apocalypse.  This suggestion was a little too far out of my comfort zone.  I wasn't even really interested.  Instead I decided to write a fantasy novel.  Yes, you heard me right fantasy novel.  

The entire process of writing fantasy was amusing.  I would be downstairs writing a chapter and I would have to come running upstairs to ask my husband super important questions.  Things like is the leader of the dwarves called a king, and are there different kinds of elves?   Having never read any fantasy novel except the Hobbit I was lacking tons of information.  I researched online, came up with fantasy names, and had a fairy as a main character.  I learned that the fantasy world as a whole was more important than almost anything, and the more details I could give the better.  It was funny.  Those were my important questions I had to find answers to.  But my husband was right.  I did learn a lot writing a fantasy novel.  I don't think I will repeat the experience, and I don't think I will be a famous fantasy writer.    I do think that writing that novel gave me the confidence to know I can write something out of nothing.    I can have no idea what I am doing, no idea where the novel will go, and I can still do it.

That made it worth it.

Ok I give in...I SHOULD be going to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment