And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Why Strong is NOT always the new skinny.

I hate to admit it, but I am a health nut.  Ok, that was a bold faced lie.  I love to admit that I am a health nut.  I love all things health and fitness.  There I said it, ok?!   I have never been one to just want to be "skinny."  I have always wanted to be strong.  I have been working out with my mom since I was eight-years-old wearing my daffy duck leotard and some killer leg warmers.    I know you are totally jealous of my amazing wardrobe choices.   If it makes you feel better, I don't have leotards or leg warmers anymore.

I have had many conversations with people who workout.  I know what kind of workouts they prefer.  I hear about their challenges and what is hardest for them.   I always ask people why they workout.  For most  people their reason for working out is "I want to be skinny."   Being skinny is my least favorite reason that people give.  That is why when I heard the statement "Strong is the new skinny" I fell in love with it.  

The logic behind me loving this statement is largely based on the fact that I workout to be healthy, to feel good, to have energy,  and to take care of myself.  Working out has always made me feel strong.  Strong has always been my skinny because for me strong was healthy.

I won't sugar coat it.  Or lie for that matter.  One of the perks of working out is that it does help you become thinner.   I am not in anyway denying that, but I have always loved the fact that working out has been challenging, and has made me stronger.  I don't workout to be skinny.  That was never my reason.   So, what wasn't to like about everyone's fresh new outlook?   Strong, yes that was much better than skinny.

I was all about embracing this new outlook on working out.  Until one day a friend of mine was working out and she pointed out a body part on one of the girls on screen.  "I want legs like that."  She said.  "Look how small and defined her legs are."   It was then that I looked at my beautiful friend, who is a healthy weight, completely gorgeous, in great shape and I sighed, audibly.   All she did was replace skinny with strong.  

All we did was replace one way society tells us to look with another.  Just when I thought we were making progress there was another wave of pressure for people everywhere.  It is no longer enough to be skinny you have to be strong as well.  

I am a firm believer that we are all shaped differently, that we are all fearfully and wonderfully made to look like who we are.   I don't want to look like anyone else, and I don't want my daughters to think that they have to look like anyone else.   I want them to embrace themselves as who they are, and take care of that person.

So, go ahead.  Eat healthy, and workout.  Take care of the body that you were given.   Health is important.  Being someone else is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment