And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Blogging and Baking

I have a much needed 30 minutes to myself.  My house is clean, my work is done, and I am opting to bake and blog.  The downside to baking by  myself is that I didn't get help from the kids, and my daughters are excellent bakers.  The upside was that I got to lick the spoon, and I usually give the spoons away.   But now the warm cookies are cooling on the counter, and I can blog!

I have been focusing more lately on the bigger picture.  Not that I am ignoring the small details, that is something I cannot afford to do.  I still have to remember to do all the little things that every mom has to remember to do like make lunches, do homework, cleaning, laundry, working etc.  But I think that sometimes the details get in the way of what the bigger picture is.  

I guess I should define what I think the bigger picture is.  You might not agree with what my bigger picture is and that is perfectly fine.  Everyone has a different bigger picture.  For me, right now it is:  Who am I forming my children to be?  Who am I doing all these little things for? Am I consistently being a light for my family and for those around me?  Am I too focused on the task, and the details to remember that the important thing right now is the relationships?

Who am I forming my children to be?  In an ideal world I am forming my children to adore the Lord, to not sweat the small stuff, to know how to balance work and life, and to live life to it's fullest.    I am only human though, so in addition to those things I want them to see me make mistakes.  I make mistakes.  I make so many mistakes.  I make them everyday.  I want them to see me get mad and come back with an apology and some humility.  I want them to see a discussion with my husband, and watch us come to a resolution.  I want them to know that in life you don't have to be perfect.  You don't have to have a perfect house, and you don't have to keep up with the Joneses pun definitely intended.

Who am I doing all these little things for and am I being a light?  I believe, that no matter what I am doing I should be doing it for the Lord.  Every move. Every day.  What an incredible thing to strive for.   I know that I am not always a light, but I will wake up everyday aiming to be a light, and to do it all for God.

Am I lost in the details, or the relationships?   Not everyone has the built in ability to let the laundry sit unfolded, and the dishes sit in the sink, to let things slide so that they can sit down on the floor and play Pretty Pretty Princess.  I am one of those people.  The dishes plague me, and the laundry well, don't even get me started.  The one thing that I find though is that I never regret leaving the laundry, but I always regret not playing that board game, or stopping to give someone a hug.

What is your bigger picture?  How do you focus your priorities on what matters the most to you??

3 comments:

  1. I have taken screenshots of the following for proof:
    "I make mistakes. I make so many mistakes. I make them everyday. I want them to see me get mad and come back with an apology and some humility."

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally hear you! I've had people tell me repeatedly over the years that I should just "let some things go", i.e. housework. They claim it will be less stressful if I do, but they clearly don't understand how my mind works! That being said, I have never regretted taking time away from my tasks to play or just be with my children. Sometimes it's so hard to slow down and let something go, even if just temporarily ("it will still be there later" those same people would tell me, and they're right about that! lol). But, in light of the bigger picture, its the people that matter, not the chores. I've been trying to turn my life around and do things the opposite way (breaking from interactions with family/friends to do work rather than the other way around) w/o everything going to shambles! My hope is that, in time, I will be able to live my life purposefully seeking out moments, rather then just cleaning up after them as they pass me by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog! I feel the same way. Pretty much every day. Setting side time for my kids is ALWAYS a choice! And I have to remind myself to stop and hug my kids! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete