And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

Thursday, January 6, 2011

How to know when you read too many books

Tania and I settled on the books we were going to start off with for SRP (the snobby list of books I want to read) we picked 12 books, her list is not the exact same as mine, as she assigned me a few books that she wants me to read, and I assigned her a few books that I want her to read.

I went on to amazon to order the first few books, and to order the book that we are reading for book club this month.  Much to my dismay, the book that was chosen is new and only available in hardcover.  I am against this for so many reasons.  First, I can buy only the one book for $18, and I like to find a deal.  I get this happy, warm and excited feeling when I find a good book that is cheap, on sale, and I can get free super saver shipping on. (At this point, I agree with your thoughts I am insane.  It is true.)

Anyways, that part of the story is not that important, I made my amazon order sans the hardcover book and vowed to talk about it the next day (today) with Tania and make sure that we were actually going to read that book.  I am glad today that I didn't order the book because we decided not to read it after all. 

Instead, Tania and I researched a few books online and, as instructed by Pilar, picked another nondescript, and fun to read girlie type book.    I was actually excited about it.  After setting up the long list of daunting books that I am going to read this year, the idea of reading some easy chick-lit sounded great.  On top of that, we picked a new author who I haven't read before, and I am always excited about adding another author to my list.

I left work right on time, with enough time to make it to the storeI drove to Target, where I had some shopping to do, and they were supposed to have the book, but they didn't.    I glance at the clock, 1:18, I can make it to borders to get the book and still make it home on time to get my workout in right at 2:00 as planned.   Samantha and I hop into the car and drive to Borders to discover that it closes in 24 hours, and they have about 15 books left.  1:40.   Ok, I really can make it to Barnes and Noble, and then home.  I don't have any other time to get the book, and I have to workout. 

Samantha and I run into Barnes and Noble, and I find the last copy of the book that they have, and I snatch it up excited that I will make it home for my workout.    We pay and drive home.  I am elated. 

The rest of my afternoon was actually completely amazing.  I got home, got an entire hour long workout in.  Fed my family, and then spent a blissful hour and a half reading (I had a book to finish before starting the new one).  As if this blissful hour and half was not enough my family was still off playing and entertaining themselves. 

I took a bath.  That is right a hot, bubble bath.  That is the most frivolous thing I have ever heard of, and I loved every second of it.   I am now settled on the couch, kids in bed relaxed laughing at myself.

I am laughing because it turns out the book that I drove all over town to get..... I have read it before.  It was years ago, and on vacation.   I didn't quite remember the story, but about 30 pages in it all came flooding back.  I have read it.   I know what happens, who ends up where and what they are doing.  Guess I didn't really need to drive to all those stores now did I?

1 comment:

  1. all these things you speak of..bubble baths, hours reading...what are they? JK. Sounds nice! Maybe I'll give that a whirl sometime :)

    ReplyDelete