And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bringing back old school

I don't think it surprises many people out there to learn that I, for the most part, don't swear.  I have my moments I am human, but most of the time I keep it clean.  Last night while watching the Red Wings play, after the words fellas, stop playing with fire, and butthole escaped my lips I realized that I am actually quite funny.   (I am at least funny to myself since the only one around to listen to my awesome remarks was my husband, and let's face it he wasn't listening.)

I have been known to use the words:  fellas, shenanigans, jeepers, fresh and swell on a regular basis.  There is an even longer list of words that I use occasionally that includes but is not limited to dude, a drag, sharp, bees knees, dork, and wicked..   As I sat on my couch laughing at myself it occurred to me that I use a lot of "old-timer" words, and I would like to bring back some of those words.   I get this I think from my Mom's mom, aka Nanny.  My Nanny has been known to call herself a dumb dora, tell me my outfit is sharp and refer to restaurants as the bees knees.   See!  It is in my genes to use words like that!

Here is a list of words that were used in decades past, and then my two top picks for what to bring back.

Groovy
Fellas
Sharp
Cornhole
Swell
Fresh
Bogus
Dork
Wicked
Gnarly
Dweeb
Jeepers
Shenanigans
Shucks
Daddy-o
All that and a bag of chips
Aiight
word
banging
slammin
sickatating
ghetto blaster
sock hop
aces
clam-bake
making whopee
fuddy-duddy
rug cutter
threads
bird brain
fly
hip
screwin the pooch
square
a gas
dip stick
have a cow
a drag
far out
going steady
heavy

I have chosen to bring back the following:  tomfoolery and poppycock.  I think those words fit into the categories of funny and useful.    I can use these words while parenting on a daily basis, my kids can laugh, and I can get my point across.

What "old-timer" words are you going to bring back?

4 comments:

  1. I was never really into all those old timer words like 'neat' 'square' 'groovy' 'jeepers'. I always viewed them as kinda stupid lol.

    I am however now considering bringing back 'don't have a cow'. I say 'lame' a lot, which I wonder if that's considered old school. I remember 'dip stick' and 'jerk wad'. I'm not sure what a 'ghetto blaster' is, but 'clam-bake' definitely has a meaning to me! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you picked "don't have a cow." That made my list of top 10 to bring back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally like screwin the pooch. Who says that? And I feel like I know someone who says poppycock. Maybe Michael?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO bringing back "sickatating." That is a GOOD word. I also enjoy "slacks," "hogwash," and "dingbat."
    Adam and I obviously aren't big swearers either ;) and we say ridiculous old people things all the time. I'll have to pay closer attention and let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete