And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Joggers thoughts.

 Running is not my thing.  I love cross training, cardio, yoga, weight training, and I love pushing my body to the limit, but I HATE running.  I feel like I need to get into running because I think I would really love it, and it is a great calorie burn.

Ok, so what is stopping me from running? 

1.  No one is with me, and I used to walk/jog with my mom so I was used to having someone to talk to. 
2.  My ipod shuffle is in need of a charge, and a redo on the song list. 
3.  I need to push myself far enough that I will actually achieve a runners high. 
4.  I need to have the confidence that I can do it.

I know it seems odd that I would be mentioning confidence, but I am getting to that part. 

Last week, I recharged and reorganized the song list for my shuffle.    I was really excited to use it, and yesterday I dusted off my outside sneakers and hit the pavement.   First, Bill and I went for a walk together it was nice to just get on the road with him and get a chance to talk.  Then after that I grabbed my ipod and went out for a run on my own.  Before you get too excited I only jogged 2 miles.   But I did it I jogged. 

I started off jogging for a few minutes and then power walking for a few.   My power walking is more like power dancing though since I have a dance jog.   You can ask my mom, she always said I was really sporty but I ran like a girl.  I am taking that as a compliment.  :)

Two songs in I start to think.  That is right, I completely miss the point of getting lost in the music and pounding my feet into the pavement.  I think.    I have a complete philosophical conversation with myself about confidence levels in myself and people around me.    I realize with a huff that although I have a lot of confidence in a lot of areas in my life this is one place where I apparently need some.  This conversation with myself only lasts one song before I realize that I need to just do this.  I gave myself a goal of two miles and I am going to do two miles. 

I start going a bit faster pumping my arms to the beat, and I am off.     Step, step, step, step.   The cold air is stinging my lungs, my eyes and my nose.   A few songs later I am home, and glancing at the clock.  22 minutes, 2 miles. 

Ok, so I didn't get a runner's high, but I didn't hate it.

2 comments:

  1. WOOO HOOOO!! I am proud of you! I am glad you went out there and did it, and I hope you enjoyed it. I think it is funny that you get bored and need someone to talk to, because that is the LAST thing I want sometimes when I workout. I like to just have my quiet me space, some music and a hard workout. LOL. You and Jenney are soul workoutmates, and Laura and I are ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think it is because when I was growing up my sister, my mom and I all worked out together and laughed and pushed each other to work harder. Now I feel less motivated when there are not people around. haha.

    ReplyDelete