And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Winner

I have to take a moment to share with you the sheer genius that I am.   

Today is "that day" we have all had these days, but today is mine.  I already knew before I went to bed last night that I was in for the long haul today.  It is my turn to take all the kids to the bus stop, I have work,  I have to go to the store, I have to go to Phebe's school to meet with her teacher, and then I am helping lead the girl scout meeting.  By the time I get home we will have just enough time to eat and finish homework before the kids have to head off for showers and bedtime.

I showered last night because I wanted to sleep in today, I was very excited that I did not have to get up until 7:00.  For most of you 7:00 is not sleeping in, but for me it is.  If I get to sleep until 7:00 without interruption it is going to be a good morning. 

7:00 didn't happen.  I woke up at 6:05 as soon as Bill got out of the shower this morning.  He was not being particularly loud, the fan was on, and he was even thoughtful enough to close the bathroom door all the way before he turned the light on, but despite that I was up.  For a moment, I thought I have a busy day today, I should get up and workout.  I have the time.   But that thought was fleeting, and instead I just stayed in the warm cocoon of covers.  I did spend a good 20 minutes just praying, and that was time well spent, but then I turned on the tv and watched a few minutes of The Real Housewives just because it was on, and I think that might have negated the praying.

Samantha rolled out of bed at 7:00, bounded right into my room  and we got our morning going.  We got everything done in more than enough time.  Phebe even got up right away.  I made it to the bus stop with time to spare, and I even had time to stop for a decaf coffee on the way in to the office.   I start to think that my day is looking up, but here is where I decide to make my life harder.

I spill my coffee all down the front of my white shirt.  I now have to tackle two meetings and girl scouts covered in coffee. 

Don't panic, I am thinking, there is a sink here, and even bleach, and soap.  This is something I can take care of.  I slip into the bathroom and put on a zip up hoodie I happen to have, and zip it up all the way.  (and yes, I feel naked and slutty, but I am the only one here today so I can deal with it.)  I wash all the decaf off of the shirt, bleach a few spots and towel dry it the best I can.

Back in my office, I set my shirt on the heating vent, and in about 30 minutes it is dry, and I am excited.  I am even feeling a little smug.  I tacked that problem, and I tackled it well.  I pick it up and..... it is covered in dead ants because I am a genius and I forgot that we sprayed that corner for ants last week.  Great, now I am stuck in this awesome hoodie until I can get to the store and purchase a new shirt before I go meet with Phebe's teacher.  Let's hope I get out of work on time to get a shirt.

My only consoling thought right now is that Charlie Sheen would probably still call me a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment