And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I was in bed this morning relaxing in the warmth of my covers and thinking about how much I didn't want to have to get up when the alarm started to go off.  Bill has to let his alarm go off about 100 times before he can actually get out of bed.  Since I am not the same way, all that means is I get to like awake for an extra 20 minutes that I could still be sleeping.  (And he wonders why sometimes I am grumpy in the morning!)

Technically speaking, I could sleep in until just before 7:00, but Bill gets up at 5:50 to get showered and out the door by 6:35.   Most days I would just lie in bed, and sometimes read to kill the time since I had already woken up anyways, but last week my friend Jenney suggested I start getting up and doing my workout in the morning instead of waiting until later in the day.   I was up already, and I it would make my day easier.  The thought of getting up early was a little daunting, but I used to get up and workout in the morning in high school and college.  Why couldn't I do it now?

The very same night I went to bed wearing shorts and a tank top, I left my socks, shoes, hair tie, and sports bra right out on the dresser.  I laid my weights out in front of the tv, and put the DVD into the xbox before I even went to bed.  I even picked a workout that was difficult, but not so difficult that I would want to stop and go back to bed.  I really had NO excuse not to get up and workout.    The alarm went off as usual, and I slid out of bed, threw in my contacts, got dressed and went down stairs. 

My body felt slow and uncoordinated.  I soon discovered that working out at 5:50 in the morning requires much more concentration to complete the moves with any sort of coordination.   But I pushed through my workout, and before I knew it I was done for the day.  I showered, and got ready to go.  I have to admit that it was so nice to have it done, and know that my day could not get busy or interupted and my workout would get pushed aside.  No one could take away that uninterrupted hour of what I call "unselfish me time"

Today is day 6 of getting up and working out in the morning.  (For those of you who are doing the math, yes I did get up Saturday and Sunday early as well.  Sunday I get up at 6:00 for work, so I didn't workout but it is my day off and I still got up.)  Only 15 more days until it is officially registered as a habit!

And today I discovered one more thing I can do at 5:50 in the morning.  Burpees!

2 comments:

  1. boooo it ate my comment! anyway i said that i am so proud of you and thank you for the shout out! i have worked out with you enough times to know that you usually get interrupted and have to attend to something or someone else, so it sounds like the morning workouts are just for you and then you are done for the day baby! you're right it doesn't matter what happens with the rest of the day :) I positively hate getting up early, but i sure love that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did make a comment I swear and it ate it!!!! I protest.

    ReplyDelete