And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Does it taste bad? It's not you, It's me.....

I like to cook, and bake much to the chagrin of my husband who hates new things, and my children who tend to make a face at everything I make even if they DO actually like it.  He does appreciate that I cook and, to be fair to him, he does always taste what I put on the table even when it is "froofy girl food" i.e food that contains more than 4 ingredients.

The latest recipe that I tried was a delicious vegetarian enchilada that was both healthy, and delicious.  Rice, beans, corn, fresh tomatos...Mmmmm, I can still taste it now.  But new recipes is not really what I wanted to talk about today.   I am an emotional person, more am emotional cooker.  I tend to feel things very strongly, and while I do not always express everything that is going through my head and my heart, often you can tell what I am feeling by what is placed in front of you when I cook.

Have I served you macaroni and cheese with nothing else for dinner, and you being NOT a child?  I am overwhelmed, and the thought of making a dinner pushes me directly over the edge plummeting to my emotional death.   Here is a suggestion for this meal, put your own dishes away when you are done.  No, not in the sink, in the dishwasher.   Technically speaking, I would love that to happen EVERY meal, but realistically I am lucky if that happens once a week.

Sometimes I go full out and serve up a delicious dinner with chicken, and rice, and asparagus all perfectly cooked and perfectly placed on the plate, steam swirling up towards the ceiling.  The table looks great, and I start to feel excited about the prospects of a traditional family dinner.  We can all talk to each other and enjoy each others company.  Usually though these thoughts end abruptly when my family comes into the room and complains about everything that I have so painstakingly prepared for them.   At least one person will refuse to eat at all without a fight, and no one wants to talk to me.

I think the best example that something is horribly wrong is when I start one of the most delicious meals you have ever tasted, or one of our regular, but still delicious meals and by the end of it I am so frustrated that I am burning everything or I just threw in way too much garlic.  Watch out then.  You are all in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment