And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Who am I?

Who am I?  What do I do?  Where do I work?  These questions seem so simple, but for me do not afford an easy answer.   I am Maura:  mother, wife, friend, Jesus freak, writer, reader, organizational master mind, workout guru and boo boo healer.     How exactly does this all break down?   Well, I like to think I am creating a brand new mold, a mold for a working stay at home mom.    A mold that brings, "she does it all" to a whole new level.  

Ordinarily there are two types of moms,  working moms, and stay at home moms.   Both types have their own attributes.   I admire both types of mom, after all, when you boil it down at the end of the day we are all doing our best to do one of the hardest jobs in world.  Creating, and raising little people.

When people ask me what I do, I usually first answer that I am stay at home mom. But I always feel the need to clarify this.   My first, and foremost job is mom,  I do all the things that a stay at home mom does, but I do it while working 35 hours a week WITH my kids.  I do work, but I always have the kids with me, allowing me to do both jobs at the same time.    Hence, the new mold. 

I am working on a name for this mold.  Just like barbie who has different molds, stay at home barbie, real estate barbie, I love Ken barbie, Rockstar barbie.    Depending on the day, I can be any of these things:  made it through the day mom, super mom, anxiety attack mom, still has the energy to do one more thing mom, or just mom.

I admit that there are days where I am not sure that I will make it through the day.  I have to find the time to answer all my work emails, make lunches, volunteer at school, have a playdate, make phone calls, and teach Samantha to write her name all within a 2 hour period while keeping a smile on my face despite the fact that I have not eaten anything in hours, I have cookie crumbs in my hair, and my desk is a mess...  Bedtime is usually very joyful on those days.  

I wouldn't trade my life though.  I get the benefit of providing for my family in all ways.  I earn money to help pay for all the things we need, and I get to have my kids with me.  I am not missing all the important things, first words, first steps, first day of school.   I do have the responsibility of doing it all, but then I also get the joy of experiencing it all.

I think the my official title should be:  has it all mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment